Wednesday 1 February 2017

In the long run


Having taken two weeks out of my training schedule due to a knee injury I knew I had to get back on track fast or risk not being fit for the half marathon booked in March.

Last weekend I managed a 90 minute run, my knee was a little sore but not too bad.

I woke up early Sunday morning, excited at the prospect of my long run.  I had the route planned in my head. a 75 minute circuit with a pit stop for water and Jelly Babies. Then the choice of another 2 x 30 minute loops and/or a 15 minute loop. With combinations of these loops I could make up a 90, 105, 120 or 135 minute route.

My Training Plan was telling me 135 minutes but I figured if I could do at least 105 I could still catch up.

My other half had cooked the breakfast - man what a breakfast!  Left over toad in the hole, fried potatoes and eggs.  I let that settle for a couple of hours before I set off.

Do I wear my knee support?  I don't know, I can't make up my mind but decide in the end to wear it and take it off en route if I need to.

I started out at an easy pace - the first few miles were good, at around mile 3 there were some gentle hills but nothing too serious. By the time I made my 75 minute stop I was still feeling ok. I had covered about 6.5 miles.  I drank some water (though not enough I realised later) and ate some Jelly Babies.  Off I went around a 30 minute loop. By the time I hit 8 miles I was struggling. Every muscle in my legs hurt. I was seriously flagging. I kept going somehow and after about another half mile I think the Jelly Babies kicked in. I finished the 30 mile loop and stopped for a quick breather. So I had completed 105 minutes, do I finish here or continue?

I really felt like I had nothing left but somehow I managed to talk myself in to another 30 minute loop. The worst that could happen is that I would have to walk it. I set of again with very sore legs. I kept the pace slow and kept going! When I reached the end of the run, 135 minutes I was exhausted but elated. I felt that I was back up to date with my training plan and that a half marathon in a months time was a possibility.

Checking my data on Strava I must confess I was a little disappointed. I had only covered 11.5 miles in 2 and a quarter hours. However, after giving myself a good talking to I realised that being able to run for that length of time without knee pain is such a positive considering I could barely walk on it 3 weeks ago. The strength training and stretching has paid off.  I can work on my speed over the next few weeks.

I made sure that I did my stretches and iced my knee after the run but my legs really ached the next day. Is it normal to feel so exhausted all the time when marathon training?














No comments:

Post a Comment